Saturday, September 17, 2011


My Garden Stroll
All that rain has finally passed. Now I need to water again, since it is no longer being done for me J
But that does allow me to walk the garden each day. It helps me to stay on top of things like weeds and pests. And to enjoy my little successes .  As much as I would prefer to water from my rain barrel, one is not enough to keep up with a garden this size. Plus, it is too time consuming to water the entire back yard by hand. I attached a hose to the rain barrel so that I can water the plants closest to the house. But the pressure is really low. I found a big watering can at a yard sale for $1, that really helps
My lettuce is just getting started, but it is tall enough for me to go out and snip a few leaves to add to my salad for lunch. It seems to grow well in containers on my patio table, so now I am trying butter crunch in a hanging planter. I haven’t sampled it yet, but I have tried the romaine, oak leaf and red leaf, Yum!
Throughout my garden, I have planted marigolds for color and some natural pest control. I bought a flat of the most beautiful plants with multicolored blooms. I am also intrigued by the possibility of its use in herbal remedies.
Some of my plants amaze me they are doing so well. Others seem to be healthy, but don’t seem to be growing much or developing fruit. My banana trees look great but seem to have stopped growing. My tomatoes haven’t grown or changed since I put them in the ground (not even my volunteers). I had one surprise potato plant that came up on its own. I thought I had lost the entire crop last year, but apparently one survived. Guess I didn't till that bed well. 
My watermelons are a different story. If you think God doesn’t have a sense of humor, try to grow watermelon. Vines everywhere! Growing 8 – 10 feet from where they were planted, pretty little yellow flowers all over them and only one promising melon to show for it. I took this shot yesterday, it was the size of a small grapefruit. They have escaped their beds and grown across paths, through the banana trees, over the logs and up the chain linked fence. The one that has the melon on it grew through the enclosure that holds our pool pump and sprinkler system controls and sprouted a melon right under the electrical outlet. Now we have to be carefull when we plug in our pool pump. I tried so hard to plant things where they would not be in my husbands way of working, but the vine had other ideas J  
So now here I sit with a new bag of seed starting soil and 5 packets of seeds. Oh yeah, and Lowes has peach and apple trees on sale for $19.95!  Do I not know when to quit?! It’s hard to find the time to keep up with it all as it is. But I justify it by planning to go to my first plant swap downtown in a few weeks. But mostly, I imagine myself going out each day and picking fresh food for my son’s breakfast and lunch. Fresh food that I know did not have pesticides and chemicals sprayed on them. I don’t have to wonder how fresh it is or how far it traveled.  And I can be so proud of this partnership I have with the Lord.

“Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children”       Ephesians 5:1 NIV

No comments: