Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Best Poundcake!


Pound Cake

Things are pretty tight around here, so I often find myself going to the pantry and baking with what I have on hand.  This week, it was my first pound cake.

I may have tried one years ago. But if I did, the results were not memorable J

I pulled out my favorite old cookbook.



But then found the recipe online here.


Now if you know me at all, you know I will be switching out some ingredients. I use organic as often as possible, if the ingredients are available. And I do not use cooking spray. I just haven’t found a natural/organic one that works for me. So, I use the old fashioned method of greasing and dusting my pan. For cookies, I swear by parchment paper, but that’s another post.



I used my old Bundt pan for this occasion. I hate that is has the Teflon coating, but for now, it’s what I have. I use a paper towel to grease the inside and up over the edges. Then I dusted with flour. I can still remember doing this part for my Mom <3



I love my mixer! A Christmas gift from the guys a few years back, it’s the only pink item in my kitchen. It makes fast work of creaming together sugar, shortening and then eggs. I knew my guys would not like the lemon, so I substituted with more vanilla.



Next come the dry ingredients. I have found the best way to add them is to sift them onto a paper plate, or piece of parchment paper. With the mixer running, pick up the edges and tip to add the ingredients to the bowl. I wish I could have a picture for you, but I don’t have enough hands.



I thought I would save my parchment paper and used wax paper instead. I won’t make that mistake again! The wax paper was too flimsy. Some things are better off not being photographed. What a mess!

After combining the wet and dry ingredients, I spread it in the pan.



Another reason I was baking was because it was raining. Baking on a rainy day gives me a cozy feeling. Indoor photography on a rainy day? not so much L

It raised nicely in the oven, but settled a bit when I removed it.



But it turned out beautifully.



A light dusting of powdered sugar,



and slice.



Delish!

Next time I am switching out the shortening for coconut oil. YUM!
Do you have a favorite old cookbook? Please share in the comments below, or on our Facebook page. <3

No comments: